Friday, April 9, 2010

Helping one find his way

If there has been any certain day that has made up for all of the countless hours of studying, long nights of staying in to cram, cleaning and re-cleaning my room every five minutes, the 600 loads of laundry that piles up under my bed, or eating the unbearable Whitney dining food, today was it.

On the way to dropping off my dear sweet best friend, Alyssa, to the bus station we ran into a little fella who was looking for directions.
This is Bill. Bless his soul, he left a bag of clothing on the bus so he needed help retrieving it. We gave him directions and sent him on his way. After saying auvoir to Alyssa, Anne and I started our trek back to the dorms. On our way, we saw Bill going in the wrong direction to who knows where! After chasing after him [yes, sprinting] we finally decided just to walk him to the station to make sure he got there safely.

Now, yes I know this is where other people would tell us that he could've been a rapist and my mother would say "What did I tell you about talking to strangers?" but I couldn't let this opportunity to make a difference in someone's day just pass me by, could I? NO! He told us his life story and was just the cutest elderly man we'd ever seen! He thanked us the whole journey there, showered us with compliments like "there should be more people in the world like you two", and insisted that he take us to the nicest place in town for some food. We couldn't even imagine taking anything else but his wisdom and friendliness that we denied the offer. Unfortunately, he was unable to retrieve the new clothes that he had bought in order to impress his family and prior job in the Army back in Texas. What a sweetie!
All in all, this encounter reassured me that there are opportunities one must take in order to change or better themselves. This was mine. I had never felt such a rush of joy and happiness such as this in quite some time. Bill managed to make a bigger impact on my life, in the 40 minutes that we spent with him, then most of the people I've known for years.


Helping one find his way: Check! (:

2 comments:

  1. What a precious story! Bill has probably told the story a hundred times already about you two helping him! And he probably doesn't even realize the joy and happiness he gave you...you were in the right place at the right time for sure!

    ReplyDelete